- Not dependent; free; not subject to control by others; not relying on others; not subordinate; as, few men are wholly independent.
- Expressing or indicating the feeling of independence; free; easy; bold; unconstrained; as, an independent air or manner.
- Not subject to bias or influence; not obsequious; self-directing; as, a man of an independent mind.
- Film producer, filmmaker, movie maker.
- Auteur - a filmmaker who has a personal style and keeps creative control over his or her works.
- Film director, director - the person who directs the making of a film.